~ time for us to learn about :
"ASKING FOR AND GIVING OPINIONS"
DEFINITION OF ASKING FOR OPINION
Asking for opinion is a skill in a good manner will mean that you get more information. This section will help students to think about how they can best put questions in a forum like a meeting, class discussion or question time type event.
1. Put politely
3. About one issue
4. Encourage a response:
- What do you think about periodic table of elements ?
- What’s your opinion?
- What are your ideas?
- Do you have any thoughts on that?
- How do you feeling about organization level of the cell ?
- What about your physic homework ?
- What is your view ?
- Don’t you think …. ? (very polite)
What do you think ...?
Well, I think ...
What's your opinion about ...?
In my opinion I think ...
How do you feel about ...?
I feel that we should ...
What's your reaction to that?
My reaction is that we should ...
Any comments, John?
May I make a comment on that?
Those expressions are used to ask for opinions.
· What do you think of this refrigerator?
· So, do you think I should buy those florescent light bulbs?
Those expressions are used to give opinions.
· I think the other one’s better.
· In my opinion, you should buy the florescent light bulbs
Here are other expressions that you can also use:
· What is your opinion…?
· What do you think of..?
· How do you feel about..?
· How do you see…?
It seems to me…
DIALOG ASKING OPINION AND GIVING OPINION
Daniel : Hey Lara ! Do you know the hot news in our school ?
Lara : Yes, I know. About the minimum score, isn’t it ?
Daniel : Yes, exactly. What do you think ?
Lara : I think it so high. I believe that is bad idea.
Daniel : I don’t think so. Precisely with the 80 score, we can go into the University easily. With PMDK program.
Lara : Yes, I know it. But, for everyday it so hard.
Daniel : Maybe, it can be the pole for us to be better than yesterday. I hope we can do it. Although it so hard.Lara : Ok. Amin. :)
Kent : What do you think about that film?
Joe : I think that film is very interesting